Thanks guys, what a treasure trove of good advice!

I put my nephew in the "best" spot this morning. He didn't see a single deer. I dislike being a "bad" uncle! (Our high was 74F today, more than 25 degrees above our expected high for the date. I think the warm weather has messed up their winter pattern.)

I shot a medium doe as we were getting close to quitting time. I then noticed "she" had tarsal glands when I get ready to field dress. My brother rubbed the deer's head, and found two large antler bases. They weren't broken antlers, but they were way bigger than typical buttons. (They were bigger than a quarter, but smaller than a half-dollar.) When I cleaned the deer, his testicles were still inside him.

I thought this was a 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 year old doe based on the size when I shot. The weight of the buck on the ground about matched that size range.

Was this a very large 6 month old button buck, or was he an older buck that had some testosterone or developmental problems? He walked in and moved normally with the two does he was travelling with, and looked healthy in all other respects while cleaning.