FishinRod:

I learned to field dress them on the ground. I will post a picture of the knife that I use to field dress them. I have found that a small knife to open the belly works will, a buddy uses a "gut hook" on his knife, but he sharpened it so it is much sharper than factory. I have field dressed a LOT of deer, I have lost count. 5 this year so far, a buddy did the one I shot opening morning for me when he did his 2 at my place. I did the 3 that I shot opening evening and 2 in Wi to show a new hunter how to do it. Last year I think I did 12 or so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can tell which one is the old one..... They stopped making them, I had to go to ebay to get a new one and felt lucky to find it. It's a Kabar 1224.

Here's part of the arsenal for field dressing:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Huh. I didn't notice the nose in the picture when I took it........

My buddy showed me a new way and he's correct. He told me to hang them by the hind legs, high enough to put a garbage can under it to catch the guts. It IS a lot easier that way. Head up is a lot harder.

When I learned years ago we didn't split the sternum or pelvis. Too easy to get dirt inside when dragging out. Just roll your sleeves up and dig in. I'd reach up with one hand to cut the windpipe at the bottom of the throat and get that out along with the heart/lungs. It IS a bit easier to get to if the sternum is split, I use a bypass lopper like you would trim tree branches with.

I use a tractor and FEL to hang the deer, but I will take a picture of another method for you. I bought it at Rural King last year for $100, and I have seen them on clearance for $50. Can't make it for that price. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Here's a link. It is tall enough to get the deer into my PU truck I will measure the distance from the ground to the top tomorrow.
Deer hoist for a truck or car

Deer here aren't bothered by smoke at all. and as for the guts, I haven't seen deer bothered by them either. I'll put them out and either set traps around them for coyotes/coon or keep an eye on the pile and have a .223 handy.

You can use a wire saw to cut the pelvis although we never had a problem getting the last bit out from inside the pelvis. Look for "Hunter's Specialties Butt Out" onlne. Cut around the butthole, insert and twist/pull. Or "NAP Zip Saw" if you wan to cut the pelvis bone.

I take mine in to be butchered. They won't take them if they are skinned. Cost is $100.

I try to hook up the hose and wash them out to get all the blood off the inside (if there is any - if shot in the head there isn't). wink I've had people tell me that it introduces bacteria to the meat. my processor said that I should keep washing them out. Any meat that they can't get the blood off of they trim the blood and throw it away.

I have an old water ski rope handle in my backpack. It has about 5' of rope on it and a loop at the end. Easy to put around a does neck and drag her out that way, but I'm getting spoiled. Most of the places that I hunt there is either a tractor with a FEL or a 4-wheeler to get them out.

If anybody here is worried about getting their forearms dirty/bloody. I bought some plastic "tubes" that have elastic on both ends and are used to cover your arms/shirt/jacket from getting bloody. Put exam gloves on and you stay clean. I think there's 10 or 20 pair in a bag, I *think* I can get a bag in a small flat rate USPS box. Give me a buck for them and pay for shipping and I'll send you a bag full. I thought I was buying 6 bags at an auction, what I didn't see was the box behind what was pictured. I have more than I will ever use.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).