If my predator fish is less aggressive than LMB, will minnows survive as a sustainable component of the food chain?
There are numerous variables or possibilities for this answer. Well this all depends on 1. the aggressive nature and feeding habits of the predator; 2. adult size, average size, and mouth gape of the predator, 3. if the predator is reproducing by adding more predators to the system each year, 4. harvest rate of predators; 5. the type or species of minnow used, by far not all minnows are the same;. 6. the amount and type of habitat and cover available to all fish present. Habitat and amount and type of cover has a lot to do with fish survival.

ewest mentions several fish species that will stunt and overpopulate. (...some of the mentioned species have a propensity to stunt or overpopulate. YP , BG , PS , CC , Crappie , LMB and others can overpopulate. I did not see WE mentioned or trout.). To this I add from my knowledge and experience, any fish, including even fathead minnow, that is reproducing in a pond without harvest or predation has a good possibility of overpopulating and stunting. If anyone can think of one let us know about it.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/01/21 05:39 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management