FishingRod,

I don't know the reasonableness of the folks there in KS, but, if you own the land under the creek and if you do not impede its flow by damming things up, then what gripe do they have coming? I recently acquired a property in OK with an intermittent creek on it. But this creek actually carries a substantial amount of water having a watershed of several thousand acres. I have 1/4 mile of the creek. Most of the time it flows as it is feed by many springs but in dry weather the flow is below the sandy bottom. I can tell you that the previous owner constructed a bypass that cut short a bend in the creek in order to ease that bend's impediment to flow. This eases flooding but this creek and another about 1/2 mile away can flood and do so periodically (both creeks affect the property in terms of flooding). The sand is clean and I have given some thought to mining it when I retire. It may be possible to even to create some pools in doing so. So the focus would be selling the sand which is a renewable resource at my location on the creek. So two pools, where the first catches new sediments (the primary source of new sand) seems possible. On the other hand, if there is too much sedimentation, I would at least be able sell some sand. If pools are possible, I would probably have to mine the sand by dredging once they are made.

Whether pools could be made and sustained would depend on the quantity of sand moving during the high water events, the rate you can remove from the sedimentation pit, and finally demand for your sand. If all three came together, you might sell sand and have some really nice pools for fishing ... without impeding flow of the creek whatsoever. The best situation would be where the movement of sand is moderate and below what your demand would be. You could get the extra sand by making pools to fish in.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/01/21 05:31 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers