esshup said,

"I pellet trained about 60% of the Hybrid Crappie that I held this year......... The pellet eaters went from 1 1/2"-2" to 5"-6" from early May to late October. Thank you Optimal."

Pellet-trained Hybrid Crappie literally sounds like the optimal path for raising "eating sized" crappie in small ponds!

I think I recall a study on Hybrid Crappie that asserted the subsequent generations had slower growth rates than either pure White or Black Crappie. This could actually turn out to be advantageous for some management situations.

What do you think about ladder stocking Hybrid Crappie and a small-gaped top predator to create a primary crappie pond?

I am imagining stocking a number of Hybrid Crappie (every 2 years?) to maintain a good size distribution throughout the population. A small number of SMB (female only?) or HSB are added as the top predator. That predator cleans up the progeny of the Hybrid Crappie that did manage to reproduce, but DOES NOT do significant damage to the forage base for the mature crappie.

Would that work if you could manage your top predators to not eat many of your newly introduced Hybrid Crappie from each ladder stocking? (That would be expensive "forage".)

P.S. What is the most common size of Hybrid Crappie you deliver in your business? (I don't know the actual size distribution to contemplate the question, since Hybrid Crappie are certainly different to raise than your standard stocker fish.)

P.P.S. Scott E, I apologize for adding so many questions to your original post! I thought exploring a single tangent might help you evaluate how specific the discussions become as you get closer to finalizing your pond plans.

Thanks to all,
FishinRod