Originally Posted by FishinRod
esshup,

I believe the thinking has somewhat evolved lately on crappie in small ponds. (At least I hope it has - I would love to have a pond for "eating crappie".)

How would it work to get eating size crappie, rather than stunted crappie, in your SMB/RES/YP pond?

Is your recommendation to use hybrid crappie for limited reproduction? Or is it for faster growth and the SMB will eat (and control) the YOY small crappie?

Will the YP also provide a significant portion of the predation on the small crappie?

FishinRod, how is the minnow forage base in the SMB/RES/YP pond? My recommendation is for both of those reasons. I doubt that YP will be a big predator of small crappie.

I pellet trained about 60% of the Hybrid Crappie that I held this year......... The pellet eaters went from 1 1/2"-2" to 5"-6" from early May to late October. Thank you Optimal. Started on #4 starter, transitioned to a bag of food that I was able to coax out of Dustin and finished up the year on BG Jr.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).