eric, thanks for the post. So this is what I mean and this is direction of aquaculture. Notably missing at the website is pricing. I was interested not from the perspective of buying it but rather to understand how it relates to fish meal. I presume there are savings in cost ... hopefully a lot ... over fish meal. I noticed available phosphorus is very good for a vegetable sourced feed ingredient. The amount is ideal for trout especially.

esshup, that's great idea but I think probably it will only be DOW staff that would be allowed to harvest that way. I am reminded of when I used to live in Colorado. The DOW would give the spent salmon to anyone who would come by to pick them up. Everyone would get in line and they would put 2 in your ice chest each time you passed by distribution. The line would revolve. I think the limit was 10 per licensee. It was a long time ago but I did it once and it seems like we received 20 of them. We didn't do it again because they were (NOT) really fresh as salmon go ... so the texture was no longer peak like when caught bright in Blue Mesa.

Azteca, hey I get what you are asking and what you would like to do. This is the future and hopefully these kind of improvements ultimately allow ocean ecosystems to recover. I would just say that people eat soybeans too so the same arguments about feeding fish instead of people apply. But dangit, given a plate of tofu or a plate of yellow perch you can bet your good hand that I am going to eat the yellow perch! We shouldn't feel bad about growing fish to eat and enjoy ... whether we feed them fish waste or fermented soybeans.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/30/21 09:22 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers