Originally Posted by jpsdad
Originally Posted by esshup
I'd LOVE to see fish meal in fish food made from Asian Carp. BUT I don't know if that is a viable alternative than what is used now.

Me too. I would bet its very nutritious. Maybe ocean fish would have a better mix of trace mineral but that could be offset by adding a vitamin/mineral mix. One of the problems with targeting a fish like this is there is potential for unintended bycatch. If they can be removed without going over quota on native fish that would be good for our native fish.

If a person had a way of catching a bunch of large ones ... I'd bet he could chunk the filets (leaving the bones, skin, and scales) and have a really great hand throw lump food for HSB or LMB.

BTW the carcasses are essentially fertilizer rich in calcium, phosphorus, and nitrogen. In a pond running below the speed limit ... this would find its way into the food chain.

I would think that an electroshock boat or a gill net with large openings would work.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).