Originally Posted by ewest
May I suggest a Pond Boss article. I do think we can find a scientist/engineer who could help with the question of what is going on as to DO moving deep.

That last pic looks like a Christmas card !

Eric I think an article is an excellent idea. If this information is out there I've never seen it. I was resistant when MNFish first suggested to suspend my diffusers so shallow. I thought I would be sacrificing the bottom of my pond and a chunk of the life it contains, like crayfish. I have never heard, seen or read that the O2 will diffuse down throughout the water column. Unfortunately, after years learning the hard way I was recently introduced to Matt Rayl. Matt and I first talked just a few weeks ago after implementing the pipes with suspended diffusers like MNFish does. Matt is the man for Northern aeration IMO. He has seen aeration lift the ice off the water, ice domes, many times. He explained to me the concept of deicing versus aeration and that they are two VERY different animals. He also confirmed suspending the diffusers and DO diffusing its way down. Again, I am just in disbelief that after 7 years on Pond Boss we are just now learning this. Wish I had met Matt sooner.

Credit to Highflyer for all the help for sure. He's spent a lot on gas, etc driving up to my place and helping me with this whole experiment, spent hundreds of hours on the phone over the years, helped design and install my whole solar setup and never asked for anything except to enjoy the ride.

Credit to MNFish as well. That guy is a quiet genius. He R&D'd his way into this solution/discovery with a lot of dead fish along the way. You'd never know that he was a medical device engineer that owns over 50 patents for devices that have helped save millions of lives and he also happens to love pond management. He also will never tell folks he's produced the MN state record largemouth doing the exact things he was told were wrong and would never work. Wish he would post more often.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management