Originally Posted by buck dog
setter guy

So i guess i am still not sold on aeration being the end all to prevent a fish kill, but agree it could help prevent or it could cause a fish kill too

buck dog,

aeration is a very good mitigation tool for ponds which have too many nutrients in their nutrient pool. It will not prevent all fish kills but it most definitely prevent some. If overdoing when getting it up and running kills the fish ... well ... then it was overdoing it that killed the fish. While it is true that a pond of moderate to poor fertility can go indefinitely without aeration, a pond that is very fertile will experience fish kills periodically when adverse conditions prevail. Like winter under ice with a lot of rotting vegetation or many cloudy days in fall when water temps are elevated crashing a bloom. Looks to me like you plan to push your pond to its limit so I agree with Theo, don't put it off in response to a fish (kill) that might not have otherwise occurred.

There are other benefits to aeration. In fact aeration has been shown to increase the production of tilapia while decreasing feed inputs and improving FCR. IIRC production increased by factors of increased survival and greater end of grow out individual weights. So it helps all around.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/15/21 11:02 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers