@ Retired on 40,

For what it is worth, do some extra homework pond builders. I would go check out the ponds they have built and ask to speak with the customer.

In my personal experience, I had an existing 1/2 acre pond that needed fixed. I also wanted to expand it to 1 acre. Clearing some trees, building a bench a new dam set me back $45k and left me with an empty mudhole and no recourse. Even my attorney said I'd likely get nothing if I sue. My neighbor gave me his info and now feels terrible about it.

I've since spent an additional $24k in repairs and have it sealed up. #2 contractor told me three things. 1.-Bigger jobs, require big equipment to be efficient. 2. Most contractors that rent will be more expensive and likely not be efficient, take longer and cost more. 3.- Without the right equipment they move less dirt to get the job done quickly instead of doing it right.

#1 contractor owned a D5 dozer, Rented a 240 excavator another D6 and a sheepsfoot. (8 weeks and did crappy job)

#2 Owned and used a 25ton rock truck, 300 series and 150 series excavator, D5 dozer, sheepsfoot and his custom built water pump (6 days work (2 weeks onsite with weather)and was holding water before he left)

Last edited by HTNFSH2; 11/04/21 08:13 AM.