Originally Posted by SkunkedAgain
Oh you mentioned that in the BG LMB combo that the bass are like panfish, does that mean you need to have a fairly high number of bass to stay ahead of the BG reproduction so the bass sort of stunt? Local supplier only had CC, BG and LMB last year, but we might be able to influence them to pull in something different, I need to get in touch with them and find out now I'm back to where I think I can get my pond back in business.

If I have to go with the BG/LMB combo, what are the recommended stocking rates per acre? Thanks J

A pond will support a limited weight of fish. According to the father of modern aquaculture (H. S. Swingle) the weight can be divided between a large number of small fish or a smaller number of larger fish. Just divide the weight limit by the number of individuals to estimate the average weight of individuals. To keep any fish growing through out its life requires a very limited number of individuals and recruitment.

Swingle defined balance as a state where the predator prey combination provided fishing opportunity for both predator and prey. A minimum of 35% of the population must be sufficiently large to be harvestable in order to meet his definition of balance. So is a put & take situation like CC only or RBT only balanced? I suppose it is as long as one isn't demanding 1/8 pound FHM smile Provided the FHM are limited to a safe standing weight (by food the pond makes for them) they are in in balance with the pond and the CC are in balance with the FHM they consume both the living and the dead. That's my 2 cents anyways.

And what of a pond filled with 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb LMB and mostly 1/2 lb to 1.25 lb BG? Is it balanced? If balanced is a natural state that tends to be stable ... I would say yes. If balanced is that both predator and prey reach harvestable sizes that are a high proportion of the population (fewer smaller fish than larger) then heck ... that seems to meet Swingle's definition. That said, most people here seem to want large bass with 120 RW. So I guess it depends on goals. Generally, however, this latter situation is one that is not sustainable without a lot of population management .. ergo .. ewest's pertinent comment.

If you want sufficient control of your BG you probably should start with 100 LMB/acre (34 to 40) and delay harvesting any until you get off a spawn. I could not recommend trying to grow LMB to large sizes in a pond your size. I like your idea of CC but I do think you may find it problematic to source them in single sex.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers