esshup,

You are an expert in these matters and have seen your fair share of pond water and well water tests. I will submit to your judgment in this matter. In my own experience, the deeper the well the higher the concentration of salts in the well's water. For example, oil wells in my native OK begin to have water which salinities exceed sea water at depths of 1300' in some places. My impression is that freshwater is only common at the surface of our planet and what primarily distinguishes it from water with high TDS is the amount of dissolved salts, primarily but not entirely sodium salts. If most of TDS components aren't salts then could you educate me and others what they typically are in well water.

I know enough about TDS to know it is only a weight/volume measurement. It is how much a given volume of water weighs. If a liter of water weighs more than 1000 grams, then the difference between its gram weight and 1,000 grams is divided by 1,000 grams. If multiplied by 1 million this is a parts per million by mass proportion that is normally expressed in units of mg/kg. A pretty easy experiment to determine TDS.

In your experience, what are the parts per million of sodium in well waters exceeding 1000 ppm TDS? How does the salt proportion compare to the TDS proportion? Is it the lions share? Under what circumstances is it not?

I'm ready to learn something new if there is something new to be learned. Somehow, I just get the feeling that Joey is trolling with stink bait seeing who he can hook and play for while. Best I can tell, even he thought the water was saline too because he responded in that thread with the following statement:

Originally Posted by Joey
You may want to read about the Sultan Sea...

The issue with salinity in a marsh is evaporation. The water evaporates, the salt doesn't. With a clay bottom and that much surface area, you might as well get a contract with, Mortons, you'll have a salt marsh in a decade.

Last edited by jpsdad; 10/15/21 06:32 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers