Originally Posted by Joey Quarry
I hate to muddy the waters but I am sure your crawdads beat me to it. They call them "mud bugs" for a reason. It's not a matter of too many fish, it's a matter of, too many crawdads.

Hopefully they are signal crawdads? As bad as signal crawdads are, any other species n your area would be worse and irresponsible.

Crawdads will voraciously feed on fish spawn. As a result, zoo plankton will increase and DO will decrease causing blue algae, like, gleotrichia to spike since it is a less desirable food source.

If it was crawdads, the water would be a lot more muddy looking vs. the split pea soup color.

jpsdad, given that there is P in the food. how much of that P in the food is retained in the fish? (to grow the bones, scales, etc.)

From the Optimal Website:
Optimal Bluegill Junior P min 1%
Optimal Bluegill P min 1%
Optimal Bass P min 0.75%
Optimal Hand Throw P min 0.75%
You can see the complete label (levels of Protein, fat, etc) on the Optimal Website store.

The low P feed is specifically made for a pond management company. It isn't on Optimal's website.
The label reads:
Min Crude Protein 42%
Min Crude Fat 10%
Crude Fiber (max) 4%
Phosphorus (max) 0.9%
Ash (max) 8%

Last edited by esshup; 10/12/21 11:29 AM. Reason: Updated the information

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).