Originally Posted by ewest
All LMB do not spawn at the same time (especially in hatcheries) where conditions can be controlled. Could be a late hatch or what others said above. You should find out why. I think I would try to find about 10 - 12 6-8 inch LMB to stock now from a different hatchery.

My guess is you will have about 25% survival to year one if the fish were in good condition. On average when stocking 2 inch LMB into a pond with existing adult predators (other LMB) survival is between 2 and 10%. With BG only those %s would go up substantially due to gape size differences and your feeding the BG.

See habituation threads. Habituation of those 2 in LMB would have made a huge difference - survival maybe up to 85 %.

I talked to a hatchery today and they have 3" LMB. Asked why and they said this is the 2nd spawn for them, they sold out of all the first spawn fish (larger ones). Any left over will be kept in the raceway and fed over the winter for sale in the Spring.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).