Originally Posted by FishinRod
When setting limbed trees (like in the Ray Scott drawing) in a pond, how much do you have stick out above the water level at normal pool?

I would like the tree locations to be visible for casting to cover, but don't want to create restaurant seating for cormorants?

Do I need to keep the treetops below the water surface and mark with floats?

The Osage Orange root wads that I put in my pond were placed with just a few sprig (1 to 2 " thick) above the water level, 4 or 5 years ago. The limbs that extended above the water have since rotted off, but the submerged wood is still very solid. My point is that what is above the water will disappear more quickly than the below.

I am not familiar with the cormorants, luckily, but I would consider keeping the trees well enough below the water and marking the areas with floats. I would drive poles into the pond bottom and leave it a foot from the surface and then tie a cheap duck decoy to it. This way the the short rope can be replaced every few years without having several feet of rotting rope left wondering around the pond. If your tree structure is substantial enough and approaches the surface...just tie to it.

Fish on!,
Noel