Okay - back on Sept 19 Gpugh says "The red ears that I bought ( 100 ) and stocked turned out to be GSF, and they are multiplying like crazy."
Are you absolutely sure that the Fish Farm sold you green sunfish(GSF) instead of RES?? You told us you filled the pond using a 2" trash pump. A 2" trash pump will EASILY transfer live GSF with little or no damage through the pump & hose. I did this in just 2 hrs of pumping my current female only YP pond. Dummy forgot to attach the filter sock to the discharge hose. If you did not filter the pump creek-ditch discharge water through window screen size or better smaller mesh then at least a few or maybe a few hundred GSF fry to 1" sizes were transferred into your pond. GSF breed at around 1.5" long. I've killed lots of GSF in ponds where pond owners did not properly filter pumped creek water. Where or what fish farm did you buy your RES and how reputable is this fish farm? RES could have been contaminated with a few GSF but I very much doubt all the RES they sold you were GSF.

When you sacrifice the HSB make sure is looks plump and full of food. Gut may contain mostly mush which would be fish pellets. Maybe don't feed the fish for 2-3 days before catching the next HSB so its stomach is not full of pellets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/22/21 08:35 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management