Hi All -

I'm hoping for a little advice on our new .75 acre pond. The pond is in mid-Georgia, about 45 minutes east of ATL. Long of the short, we finished construction in December 2020, limed in February, hydroseeded in early March, stocked forage in mid to late March, and added LMB in early June. When we stocked the forage (at the recommendation of the aquatic service we used), the pond was about half-full (4-5 deep). Things were cranking right along, the boys were even starting to catch some small BG and catfish, ducks were arriving, and we even had a couple turtles show up. Life was good....

Then from mid-April through July we had zero rain, and the temps went up into the mid 90's (as they do here in GA). The pond has dropped about 2 feet from its peak, the banks are drying up, and I'm questioning whether or not the fish are surviving. We stocked 1,000 BG, 150 RES, 2,000 FHM, 2,000 GS, 50 CC and 50 LMB. We've fished it, but outside of one BG all we've caught are catfish. Hurricane Ida brought about 2-3 inches of rain (and raised the pond about 6" overall), but other than that, we've had no precipitation to speak of all year....

My question is if it's common for a new pond in this area of the country to take long to fill? There are no secondary water sources, it's watershed only, but in an area with a very high water table. During construction it had to be pumped every morning. I realize this is probably the dumbest question in the history of these forums. No rain = no pond. But we're coming up on 1 year since starting this project with nothing to show for it, and have maybe taken steps backward, IDK.

I'm contemplating a well, but don't know if that's the answer. Plus I'm afraid pulling up cold well water could kill what remaining fish I do have. Or I've considered hiring said aquatic service to professionally manage the pond for me. I'm really just kinda at a loss at this point.

Any thoughts, advice, or generally commentary is appreciated!

Thanks,
GTS

Attached Images
Pond.JPG
Last edited by Gafftopsail; 09/14/21 03:44 PM. Reason: add pic