Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I am going to do the clay regardless, I'm just deciding on doing the salt as well, or if that process is an unnecessary expense when the clay will likely fix the issue.

Yes, Snipe has used soda ash with good success. I was able to speak with him over the phone about it and he advised me on the correct application process. The CL- in the salt or soda ash breaks the + bonds of the clay particles if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes clay particles (having + charges) can actually repel each other and then the soil structure behaves more like a porous soil than a fine clay. The salt/soda ash destroys that soil structure, allowing clay to be compacted and seal. I was going to do this method first as a base, and then have 1' of clay liner installed over the top. It's starting to sound like overkill though, and I may just do the clay.

Here is a link and the specific Q&A from the Kansas agronomy website:
https://webapp.agron.ksu.edu/agr_social/eu_article.throck?article_id=1762

Q: Can you add materials to help seal a pond?

A: Dispersants such as soda ash or rock salt are used for sealing lagoons or ponds. Dispersants work by causing clay particles to swell and repel each other, thus destroying soil structure. All dispersants are to be incorporated and compacted in six-inch layers during the construction. It should be noted that adding the dispersants to an existing pond may not work. It will likely be necessary to drain the pond, clean out the sediment, scarify the bottom of the pond, add the sealant, and then compact the pond.

Soda Ash

Application rate: 10-25 lbs/100 sq. ft.

Notes: Makes a good seal. Soil must contain >15% clay, and >50% clay + silt

Rock Salt

Application rate: 20 to 33 lbs/100 sq. ft.

Notes: Least expensive. (One reference suggested rates as high as 400 lbs per 100 sq. ft. during new construction would not harm fish or inhibit vegetation).