Couldn't agree more on the burn comments, RAH.

We can only burn here after calling in to the county emergency manager and getting approval!

I was burning during an approved time and the county had enough ground moisture that everyone's native grass was still green.

I don't think a 22 degree difference in air temperature while burning at 102 instead of 80 should make a significant difference in a brush pile fire, based on the high flame temperatures. Observing the fire, I think the big difference was the moisture content in the wood.

Usually the fluffy stuff sticking up in the air goes moderately fast right where I start the fire. The fire then progresses around the pile, and also downwards as the collapsing embers burn the bigger stuff at the bottom. It all takes a while and you can see the wood steaming and driving out water as the fire moves.

On the 102 degree day, the fire went around and down VERY quickly. With the whole pile burning at once, the chimney effect was very powerful and the fire was roaring as it was drawing in so much air.

I normally just babysit my brush pile fires. On that one, it felt like I was babysitting a rabid honey badger.

Trying to accomplish something when it was that hot, just increased my stress level. Usually, accomplishing something at the farm does just the opposite.