Wow! Thanks all for the replies. I wish I knew what type fescue I planted. It was too long ago. I did plant it directly on to the clay, but then covered it with straw. I had some great luck with timely rains and got very good germination. It’s been thick in most places for 7 years. I have to admit I’ve mowed way more than twice a year. I used to brush hog it though. I bought a used JD X540 lawn tractor that mowed it even faster and allows me to get a little closer to the pond. I think, if I’m lucky enough to get it to come back, I’ll mow less frequently at the highest setting. I was trying to make it easier for little grandkids to run and walk through. Down to 2 yrs old.
I think I’ll get more seed and over seed it next month. See what comes up. And get the right fescue. Maybe add in some other grasses.
Thanks all for the advice. I do not think I have a worm infestation I have t seen any. I think I just mowed too low. Shame on me.

Thanks again
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023