Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by ewest
From - Management of Fish Ponds in Pennsylvania (psu.edu)
http://extension.psu.edu/publications/uh137/view

ewest:

That article in it's "updated" form is now 21 years old, I see where it was adapted from an even older publication that is now 36 years old. There is no mention of what they "updated" information wise in 2000. No mention was made on what type and amount of cover was in the northern pond...

I will bet that Bill Cody has different information regarding Yellow Perch and Largemouth in Northern ponds than what the article has to say. My experience with Largemouth and Yellow Perch is completely 180° from that article.

Obviously you missed (I do that also) the key part of the info in the context of his question :

Going to post this again for our northern pond owners to consider before stocking. Of course there are other plans that have proved successful also.

When small bass and bluegills of the same age were stocked simultaneously .... When this stocking strategy was followed in the North, the result nearly always was a stunted bluegill population and a bass population unable to spawn successfully.

They followed with their suggestion of how to stock LMB/BG. Other states have a different approach as do many here. Its giving folks the info for then to decide that is important.

Last edited by ewest; 08/18/21 12:26 PM.