Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Such a great community here on Pondboss.

Esshup, my thinking was to start with predator fish, and then build out the rest of the chain from there. I think my preference is to rely on forage fish in order to keep maintenance down, but I think I could probably be talked into pellets if people thought that was a better route. What predator species do you think might work best given the goals?

Anthropic, that’s interesting. I know a decent amount about Walleye spawning, but haven’t read much about rainbow spawning. Do they need similar conditions (flowing water over a gravel substrate)?

Thanks Theo. I think you’re right that YP could be a good choice. What would your recommendation be on top predator fish? Both SMB and WE but not RBT? Or something else?

Wbuffetjr, I like the idea of Brook trout too. My only concern is that with limited fresh water coming into the pond it might get too warm in the summers, so that’s why I was leaning towards RBT. What do you think?

Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated. What fish do people feel are easiest and most fun to catch?