Grew up in Texas. My dad had a pond he never had to do anything with it. It had so many catfish, it was unbelievable. Fast forward - I retired & moved to Weatherford 2 years ago. Seasonal pond was empty, but rain filled up soon, plus I often keep water hose from my well on feeding it so it doesn't drop low. I stocked it by buying fish (FHM, BG, cc) plus catching some CC from someone else's pond ( which was overstocked) and putting them in my pond. Didn't see many fish except for 10 who would show up for feeding every night, I think it was the ten I caught from my friend's pond.

I Have a mass amount of american red ear sliders in my pond. Babies show up on my patio, driveway and in pool. ( I ordered turtle trap today).

Vegetation is often out of control. I have used granules - they didn't help. I have used Cutrin -plus ( doing 1/2 of pond at a time) - no help but I did lose 10 huge catfish all in same 24 hours. I also have a lot a frogs. I have restocked pond 3 times - with BG, FHM, CC and recently some LMB . Just stocked again on Saturday. I have also raked this pond numerous times.

I looked at aerator pumps but they cost more than what I wanted to spend. Do I need one if I run a water hose into it when not raining?

I was told by one fish vendor I had come out that my horse and steer and ducks were the problem. I have 9 ducks. 4 Horses and 1 steer never enter pond and prefer to drink out of tanks with floaters in them. I guess the water is cooler.

Another person told me it wasn't deep enough. I think the middle of pond may be 12-20 feet deep.

Another person wanted $1200/monthly to TRY and clean out vegetation.

Recently received a Texas permit for carp. Can't get them until fall because fish farm is not delivering now due to hot weather and long trip.

My Purpose for pond - just to let my grandson and neighbor kids fish for fun and actually catch something. The pond behind my place has no vegetation and is small, but full of LMB.
Another pond close by also has a lot of fish (variety) and hardly no vegetation. They both have cattle which get in pond. My husband thinks I just need to let it dry up because I am having so much trouble with it . HELP!

Michelle Glover