Richard C, Kaufman Texas near Dallas. Purchased our property and built a house on it a couple of years ago. Pond is a mess. Maybe a Half Acre in size and 25 to 30 willows around it, many covered from the base of the tree to the top in poison Ivy. Pond doesnt go dry in summers but goes down fast due to all the willows I assume. Filled with weeds due to all the shallows. About 10 to 15 foot deep in the middle. Found someone to work on it finally but I needed to drain it. I had to lay out some pallets since I was sinking in the silt up past my knees. Finally tied a rope around suction hose and went to opposite side of pond, tied it round a tree and use it to pull the line out to the middle of the pond. Anyways, Finished draining it today and now we just need to let some of the mud dry up.

I came across this site as I was searching for the the right way to turn this into a good fishing pond. I had read somewhere a couple of years ago that you shouldnt put black bass in a pond unless you have two acres of pond. Is that true? This one had some decent sized black bass in it.

Well, I will be reading quit a bit to figure out how to shape this hole into a good pond to support Perch and catfish for sure.
I was thinking about adding a waterfall on the back of it for aeration. Any feedback on that?

Thanks,
Look forward to reading what everyone has to say about ponds and maybe asking a few questions of my own