I have a similar experience but my pit has nowhere near the surface area but is much deeper.

The first thing you need to do is get a copy of the "Reclamation Plan" from the state natural resource board. Unless this pit was closed prior to about 1980, who ever dug the pit is required to file one with the state. Even if the pit was dug prior to '80, If it was operational, a retro plan was filed.

The Reclamation Plan details the remediation the mining contractor is to perform, returning the land close to original state. Almost always they are required to keep top soils on site, then when the mining is complete, return the top soil to the property where applicable.

Only when the Reclamation Plan is completed to the states satisfaction, is the contractor released from further remediation obligations.

If you purchase the property prior to completion of the Reclamation Plan, you will be responsible to complete it. Or...

I arranged for the mining company to be a zero dollar leasee until the plan was completed. Once the plan was completed to the state and MY satisfaction, he is released from the lease.

Last edited by Joey Quarry; 07/28/21 12:55 PM. Reason: Revised law date, I.e. Federal 1977