Originally Posted by Deancutler
Thanks for the reply QA.

. . . My goal is use the crawfish as supplemental feeding for the LMB.

So any crawfish that I can trap from surrounding areas would be okay to stock into the pond?

Dean

Sure but to be safe I would say crawfish that share your drainage. If interconnected by water, then they are probably already in your pond as FishinRod suggested. You will have to work very hard to trap enough. Adding habitat could be more effective. You may have more than you think you currently have. Try trapping some in your own bow before you begin trapping outside.

Crawfish are very good food for bass. The energy density is nearly 50% greater than BG. If you could construct a forage pond ... you could produce large quantities of juveniles that could grow in the main pond producing notable quantities of forage ... or limited quantities of inseminated females that could spawn large quantities of fry. I'm not very familiar with any Georgia species other than the White River Crayfish. If you are in its range it might be a very good choice for culture. They tend to spawn in mid to late winter in the south. If you find you are in their range(their range isn't statewide), collect some, and have the means to culture them in a fish free forage pond ... reach out by PM and I will share my thoughts on culture that I think could help you maximize the forage production effects you seem to be seeking. Every crayfish species have life patterns that can be exploited, the WRC is native here and so I am very familiar with it.

If you aren't in the WRC range, don't sweat it, there will be other crayfish that can provide great supplemental forage. IMHO, you want to work with crayfish that have the greatest growth potential in your particular drainage.

Last edited by jpsdad; 07/18/21 04:25 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers