Steve, TX has 4 options for state records which I think is very fair. Conventional tackle records, and fly fishing records for both public and private waters. Just an observation, but the vast majority of records come from public waters, In fact, last time I checked, there was maybe 1 or 2 fish that bested the public water records, and they were south TX tilapia where temps normally don't hit a critical point for them. There are very few rules for public/private conventional tackle records. Fly fishing requirements are more detailed, and fair play is primary. No minnows hooked to a fly, scents are allowed, actual factual tied flies and fly rods, etc.

I have 3 species targeted for TX private water fly rod records, and have bested the state records on 2 of the 3, with neither claimed. I'm 1# short on LMB, but I do have them roaming around the big pond, so I just need to spend more time and effort late next winter and early spring. So having been targeting these fish for a while, I would rate HSB as the easiest record to break, with LMB second, and CNBG being the hardest. None of the fish I caught were at weights that I felt warranted a state record. 10#,2#,10# are my personal goals, so I'll keep trying until my pond records meet my expectations. At that point, I'd claim a state record. If not, I'm ok with that also.

Finally, TPWD has been dealing with both public and private ponds for years, and are well aware of what pond owners invest in their ponds. They're certainly not naive, so they fully expect pond owners to throw $$$ at their fish. Regulating that would be impossible, so few restrictions exist. Having said that, few pond owners that have contracted biologists, spend inordinate amounts of money, or are wanting to keep their successes private, DO NOT claim state records. Esshup has a friend that lives a few miles from me, and his fly rod LMB pond record is 3# more than the current state record. I've fished an unmanaged 35 acre pond south of me that's pulls multiple 10# LMB every year, with 16# being the record. Also pics on my phone of 2.5# CNBG(not mine). You can hear crickets chirping when their ponds are talked about.

Steve, go for it.

AL