Originally Posted by lmoore
Originally Posted by Joey Quarry
Jpsdad, you may want to move me to your right shoulder. The vast majority of aquatic environments in the U.S. contaminated with "Mercury and other toxins" , are contaminated via atmospheric deposition. Have a watershed that feeds your pond?

Your pond, if you use copper based algaecide, is more contaminated with forever chemicals than natural bodies of water in your area. It will be an EPA superfund site one day.

If you eat fish fed from commercially available manufacturers, you may as well season them with aspartame and arsenic then fry them in formaldehyde.

What is in your fish food? Manufacturers know the secret of making fish food. Fish who die, don't have relatives that lawyer up. The protein percentage of your fish food is a mathematical calculation of the nitrogen and to a lesser extent, phosphorous content. How do manufactures "sometimes" increase nitrogen, thus protein percentage? Usually melamine and cyanuric acid. What else is in your fish food? No one knows but your pond water.

Adding nitrogen and phosphorous to your Mercury and copper pit assures future generations will never enjoy that body of water.

You're outdated with your melamine and cyanuric acid comment, but when it was still happening it was more common in ag and pet foods. Season your pork chops the same way I guess.

I think all of this stems from a scare in 2007 when a bunch of cats and dogs were dying due to contaminated pet food and in 2008 when it was found in infant formula and 50,000 babies in China were hospitalized. I was just reading about it. Since then, the WHO has established thresholds for monitoring melamine and cyanuric acid. They’ve done tests where they intentionally fed high melamine and cyanuric acid food to fish to see if affects their meat. In most cases, they only found the residual crystals in the fish’s kidneys and not their flesh. When it was found in the flesh, it was way below the threshold for unsafe consumption.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller