Update on the Reds and BNM...
Have had "fair" reproduction from Reds as I seined forage pond several weeks back, transferred a large number of BNM and RSH to a storage tank then aeration quit in the middle of the first night. Out of literally thousands, I had a 100 or so left, mostly reds I'd say. BNM are not as tolerant of low DO as RSH are-that is obvious, but in my case, BNM reproduce like FHM.
I have spent about 2 weeks trapping with food and sorting what seems like thousands of FHM per day to get the BNM and RSH out. I'm finding I had a lot more left than I thought, which is a good thing.
This week I'll be transporting these to a buddy in NE :-)) that has cells ready for these.
I've sorted enough now to see a BNM in a large handful of FHM and are quite obvious. The largest BNM I've captured was just over 4.25" and the largest RSH was right at 4" and it appears the male gets bigger than the female when it comes to Red Shiner.
The Reds and Bluntnose are very deliberate in their movements in the water when observing, very fast. I've also noted when I have several FHM in my hands sorting, the BNM will fly out of my hand much more easily than a FHM-very strong.
This is year 2 of having BNM in my main pond and I do trap a few, they are holding strong in a predator environment..