It is very possible that some of the small 'fry' you are seeing could be new BG unless the BG you stocked were only 1"-2". 3"to 4" BG could be spawning now if they were added in April.

Creek chubs are an option but be aware many of them from the creek will have at least a few to numerous black spots from black spot disease. I am not sure at this point how adding them to the pond increases the infestation of them into your pond. Note it will take 10lbs of chubs to increase the bass poundage by one pound thus lots of chubs for a bass to gain a pound. When I was back in college my dad and I added creek chubs to our pond for the bass. We had several large bass that quickly became quite tame and waited for us to arrive with the welfare food. You can also do this hand feeding with mid sized BG that you trim off the tails once they spawn a couple times.

The general rule for producing hook smart fish is - the smaller the pond, the more often one fishes, and the longer one fishes each trip the more the LMB become hook smart.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/01/21 09:05 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management