Originally Posted by esshup
I had Nate Herman come over with his electroshock boat. It was the soonest he could make it with his busy schedule. Customers pond right next to a creek that overflowed into it in 2017 when the creek rose 15 feet. 3 acre pond, was a sand/gravel pit in the 70's. Steep sides, water only fluctuates about a foot if there is no flooding due to the sandy ground. Goals are to grow bigger panfish. The biggest BG we saw were males on beds and they were 5" long. Gizzard Shad, Suckers, Common Carp. Water temps are in the low to mid 70's. LMB were all 110-130 RW, biggest we shocked up was about 2.5#. Very few Crappie seen, both White/Black are in there. Shocked up 9 Pumpkinseeds too. Roughly 15 gallons of Gizzard Shad, all about 8"-9" long - bigger than the bass could eat except for 1 that we shocked up. Only one 6" common carp, so at least the bass are keeping their numbers down.

Goal for the e-shock was to see what's in the pond to get a plan to move forward. Push the reset button? Deal with what's there? Customer bought the place about 7 years ago and has done a LOT of projects around there, now it's time to focus on the pond. He built up a berm and put in a flash board riser system, so the creek wouldn't back up into the pond unless he had a LOT of rain. That 2017 flood was supposedly a 500 year rain event.

Well, the next morning (yesterday) he sent me a few pictures. Creek rose a BUNCH over night and flooded into the pond again. Pond rose 4' overnight..... So that makes writing the report and a plan for the future easier. He had about 5" of rain in the span of a few hours and the approx. 600 ac watershed that feeds the creek upstream from his place was too much for the berm. It doesn't help that upstream there is less and less farmground and more and more sub divisions going in, so that means more runoff into the creek.

Thanks for the information esshup. I'm a bit nosey and was curious after seeing all those fish on the ground. Hay! With the description, you made then maybe it might drum up some more ponds to look over. That's assuming you want more to take care of smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy