There was not much mentioned about the pond's history of management and its watershed. One question which doesn't seem answered is why is the pond so hyper-eutrophic. Every pond ages but a lot about how fast it accumulates organics is determined by management and other conditions. I know of many ponds whose age exceeds 60 years that have not advanced that far. They all are exposed to cattle (not really a good thing) and have rings of pond weeds. I would call most mid eutrophic in progression. One factor is that only what washes in or is deposited by cattle and birds accumulates. No fertilizers ... no feeds ... except for only a few ... not many, if any leaves. So I know to get to this progression either the land is very, very fertile ... or there is something contributing to the progression. So does it have a history of feeding? Does it have significant leaf inputs? Is there fertilized run off from ag land flowing in? Do cattle have access to the pond?

Bill makes a very good point that this is the direction of all ponds... to undo it ... you must remove what be done to the pond by nature and possibly management. I think Bill's proposition of building a new pond is a good one. I like his idea of letting it progress as a wetland. In other words, you could go with what it now is and roll with its punches choosing fish that are appropriate for its advanced stage of eutrophication. Were this path chosen, I have some ideas may help to get more from the pond in terms of fishing and/or forage. The pond is not worth investing much along the path of LMB and BG. It is too far along and would have to be renovated to be a good home for LMB and BG.

Last edited by jpsdad; 06/27/21 09:17 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers