The reason I asked is there might be a way to slow the water loss through the sand BUT you would need to keep the water pressure in the pond at a higher level than it is in the soil. If water is allowed to migrate into the pond through the sand (less water pressure in the pond than what is in the ground) then that could push the sealer into the pond and make it leak as if you never sealed the pond.

I will be doing some testing of that very theory using a polymer product later this summer and will have some concrete numbers to post.

jpsdad is absolutely correct in saying to oxygenate the water from the well to get the iron to precipitate out first, then let it flow into the pond. If the iron content of the water is very high, and you need to pump a lot of GMP to keep the pond full, you will need to periodically clean the iron oxide out of the settlement pond. i.e., a continuous 200 gpm would need weekly cleanings depending on the iron content and how big the settlement pond is.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).