I live on a big flood-plain, with an extremely high water table, in spring the ground water is only a foot or two from the surface. Other than a thin layer of top-soil, it's 200 feet of pure sand beneath me.

So I recently dug a pretty large pond, perhaps 4 acres. I dug as deep as I could, which was probably 10-14 feet. As I dug the pond instantly filled up with ground water, and as expected rises and falls with the water table (probably 4 feet over the year).

Because of the high water table, and extremely porous nature of sand -- I don't think it's feasible to ever get a liner into the pond. (Unless you can line a pond that's already full?)

But unfortunately there's enough iron in the ground water that it kind of fouls up and the pond and it's not super pretty. So I'd like a sanity check before I conduct the next stage of my plan:

There's a river perhaps 400 yards from my pond which I can (legally) pump from. It has very clean water, just unfortunately lower than the pond, so I'll actually need to actively pump it.

So what I was thinking of doing, is calculating how much evaporation a pond of my size would experience each day and pump a bit more water than that into the pond. My reasoning is that instead of ground-water filling the pond, my pond will push water into the ground and be a lot cleaner.

Does that make sense, does it seem like a reasonable approach?