Originally Posted by GAPRanch
How deep is it when full?. Average depth of water. Does it stay muddy all the time? Have you considered having the water tested to see what you have/need for fish

I'd guess when it's at maximum the depth is between 5-7 feet. It does stay muddy. I wouldn't know where to begin on water testing but I could do that.

I'd think about stocking bluegill and channel catfish. They should do fine under these conditions

That's what was there before the last drought. I don't know if the previous owner stocked them or they ended up there naturally. The BG were a little melinistic looking probably due to the muddy water. The population was not excessive as far as I could tell.

I like anthropic's idea and since they've been there before ... you know it would work again until the next extensive drought. Eric is spot on that BG will probably not grow large. But every pond is different ... how big did those BG get before? You might get similar mileage this time around. I fish 3 acre pond with that combination and the CC grow well. The BG are stalling at 5" but there are bigger GSF and hybrids. Hybrids are common possibly due to the muddy water. But guess what? The kids do like to catch them and its a favored pond of theirs. The BG would provide forage for the CC both while the BG live and when BG die of natural causes. I think it would be much better for the CC to have them alongside than to be cultured alone

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers