what if they WANT to consume more of one feed than another.

Numerous feed studies feed the pellets to satiation. If the fish want to eat more of one brand (flavor) than another then on one hand the best tasting food should hopefully create more weight gain. Isn't weight gain one purpose of the study? If we are feeding a food that the fish do not prefer to eat then what good is that food and if they are eating less wouldn't that produce less weight gain as a result mainly of flavor? Doesn't usually eating more produce more weight gain?

However if the purpose of the study is to measure the weight gain per pound of eaten pellets then that purpose should also be able to be calculated when weights of food eaten or fed are recorded.

As noted above and if it is correct, males gain more weight (size) per year than females. jpsdad - Male BG have been demonstrated to twice the growth of females. I question at least a part of this and I would like to read that/those articles. Are there references to this regarding "TWICE" the growth of females. Was this growth per early years to a certain size?, total life span growth?, or in terms of annual growth rates?, or growth to maturity?.

Then at the end of the study I would try to visually determine number of males and females in each group in case there is a questionable point regarding sex ration of each group. More of one sex than the other might or could slightly skew the results.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/22/21 09:25 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management