Originally Posted by ewest
Do some looking on BG survival and adaptation. We have always thought that changes took long periods of time but more recent research on fish indicated that the time periods can be much shorter as in a few years in some studies. Low food/stunted populations favor small size and fast reproductive ability for species survival. I will see what I can dig up on LMB in specific.

So what are your thoughts on the BG Eric? The small sized BG are at more risk of predation so the must reproduce more to secure the population?

I do think that competition and predation are extremely strong selectors and that these two factors dominate selection of those that are most fit. Oddly being a better competitor may make a fish more vulnerable to predation so they seem to balance each other. It's complicated I think. In the end, those that succeed will be those that pass on genes to the next generation providing that generation with keys to reproductive success.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers