Hi Everyone,

I’ve been looking at options for Aerating my pond near Rimbey Alberta. My pond is approximately 0.16 acres and will be about 300,000 gallons. It is still filling from being dug. Pictures attached. The pond has one area that is about 60 x 60 feet and 12-13 feet deep; then there is another part that comes off the deep end that is about 60 x 15 feet and goes from 10 feet deep to 2 feet deep. It’s a bit of an odd shape. I just want to have clean water that I can swim in. Maybe down the road, we’ll add fish.
I’ve spoken to a few dealers/sellers about windmills and solar, and I can’t seem to get a straight answer because they all sell different products and will “make up” anything bad about their competitors.

I’m hoping someone here can give me some unbiased information.

I’m currently between the OWS windmills and the Koenders double diaphragm windmill or getting a solar system to control a Can-Air 2 system.

When I spoke to the person who sells OWS he told me that no windmill would work for me. He said that I needed to get something that plugs in so that it’s constant. He told me that all the claims that Koenders made a not true. That I would need 60 kmh winds to get 3 CFM from theirs since it has 2 diaphragms and harder to move. He said their study was done in no water, but the study said itself it was in 15 feet of water and 7.5psi. He said the video they show about how 2 diaphrams compared to 1 is based on theory and not an actual study. He said that Koenders sells a lot of windmills because people believe them, and don’t bother to return it because it takes 10 hours to build. He said that the Can-Air SS diffusers move 800% more air than stone diffusers and sent me a chart. He said the only thing that would work for me is a plug in Can-Air 2 system, because I had a “shallow” pond I needed the consistency.

When I spoke to Koenders rep he said their double diaphragm would work for me no problem. He claimed that the Koenders works in 3-5mph winds, but wouldn’t say what wind speed was needed for 3 CFM. He wouldn’t commit to a number or provide a chart that shows CFM as it relates to wind speed. He just told me to watch all the videos on youtube that show it moving in low wind speeds and to look at the testimonials on their website. He said the OWS system bases their claims of CFM on not being in water.

The guy who sells the OWS told me that a windmill wouldn’t work for me, and that I needed a solar system. He said I’d need about 1300 watts of panels and a 100ah battery bank. When I spoke to a soalr guy he said that if the system is pulling 300 watts an hour (which it does), I would need a way bigger solar system. Like 5000Watts. That way, it could keep up since the solar system would use 7000 watts a day.

I guess to make my point, does anyone here have an OWS windmill or a Koenders windmill and how do they like them? Do they work well? Are the claims true? Does the OWS need a ton of wind to work? Could I use a windmill in my pond, or do I need to get a solar system?

Thanks!

Attached Images
pond1.PNG pond2.PNG
Last edited by G.DUB; 05/07/21 07:13 PM. Reason: added photos