I have mentioned that my fish in the big(2 acre approx) pond were not showing up. I believe I have had my first ever winter kill, a rarity in Texas. Temps got down to about zero, a rarity here.

The water turned green and nasty looking. No fish came to feed. And yet, a mile away my 1/4 acre pond showed no problems. Nor did a spring fed creek. Fish fed normally in both. Then the water turned green in the small pond but the fish still fed. A heavy floating algae growth appeared on the creek. But, no fish problems. They still fed.

Alkilinity and ph were both low. Same in big pond.

I walked around the small pond spraying the algae and hit it in a 30 to 40 ft area in the creek. I effectively sprayed about 40% of the small pond.

Returned a couple of days later and all algae were gone from small pond and creek. Fish fed normally in both.

Big pond: 3 or 4 fish come to feed and water is a sorta nasty green. Still only a couple of fish coming to feed. I sprayed around the perimeter with a hand sprayer and Grandsons were supposed to show up this Sunday to get in the Jon boat to spray the whole pond. However, Mothers Day is postponing it for a week. Finally acknowledging that I have had my first ever winter fish kill. I wasn’t overstocked since I was still rebuilding everything after the cormorants hit. The freeze got me.

Questions and other things to ponder. Why did Mama Natures freeze clobber everything in a 2 acre, 14 ft deep pond and have no effect on the shallow 1/4 acre one and the shallow creek?

Mama Nature can throw some curve balls.

I called this morning and got on the list for replacement bluegills. They are already scarce.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP