Originally Posted by canyoncreek
I found this series of articles online and I think it is very helpful. It suggests you could even feed ground up shrimp and achieve what you wanted!

Getting the desired orange color again?
Thanks for that great link.

I think it has allowed me to understand why the meat colour in my pond naturally went from orange to white. I believe the orange or red colour comes from the trout eating other fish as well as shrimp and crustaceans as you mentioned. This aligns with the nice colour of the Steelhead in my area, which spend time eating fish and larger prey compared to most trout while living in the cold lake. My trout used to have that orange colour due to eating the minnows in the pond and the crayfish we had, is my guess. When the bass were added (not by me and not on purpose), they overpowered the trout in terms of feeding due to their numbers, and ate most of the minnows and crayfish, leaving other food for the trout, such as those isopods I mentioned in another post that Bill identified. My guess is those isopods do not lead to the desired meat colour.

I really like the idea of feeding shrimp as a natural way to change the meat colour. I will look into how I can get some cheap bulk shrimp to feed as a supplement to the regular pellet diet.

Thanks again, and I will keep everyone posted on how I try to move forward with this.

Adam

I subscribe!