Your situation is not dire. It can be easily mitigated. Two good places in the SE US are Aquatic Environmental Services (lakework.com) and American Sportfish; their northern bass would be a good fit for your general pond fishing goals. Also see this: https://southernstateshatchery.com/. There are undoubtedly a few other good established and reliable fish farms in your region. Ask questions before buying. Whatever you choose,,,,, now you have a little education about LMB and how they are grown at fish farms so you can ask the right questions. Do some searching with maybe the DNR for those with a license to sell fish in AL. Or try a web search for fish farms in AL. I am not familiar with fish farms in your location. The only thing that I do know, is I stay away from traveling fish trucks. Your local game warden may know of good farms that sell quality LMB. Remember IMO look for pellet trained LMB especially if you are feeding pellets to your panfish.

Don't be afraid to drive 2 to 4 hours one way to get 30-60 quality bass to improve your long term existing bass genetics. My concern is slow growing bass often lag behind the fast growing jumpers is often because of a genetic propensity. I think aggressiveness in predators even has some basis in inherited genetics. Everything living has a lot of their characteristics heavily genetically based even more than commonly & currently known today. Personality can even have some genetic basis in humans. For just two examples, look at the variability even in personality of dogs and the ability of different people's immunity to COVID both strongly related to inherited genetics. All animals have a highly complex genetic basis that we are still being learned about all the influences ; fish are no exception.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/23/21 09:42 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management