Not sure I understand the question.

anthropic I do not think I wrote all of that but would like to check the source. Anyway the discussion is still valid.

The time period is key on the subject. There are several studies showing mixed results on which grow faster depending on time frame and location. A few facts. LMB in the deep south grow faster over a year because there are more growth days (warm days in which LMB metabolism is above neutral) during the year. Same for BG. Notice I did not say Fla LMB or CNBG. Male Fla LMB stay small in comparison so obviously they don't grow faster. Female Fla LMB do grow bigger. Food supply is KEY no matter the location as that is the biggest limiting factor to fish growth. Next key is population status (environment, balance , competition , stressed , overpopulated etc.). Then comes genetics. So way to many factors at work for me to know the answer. IMO female Fla LMB do grow faster in their normal environment as do CNBG (male and female). Northern LMB and BG in their natural environment live longer. Fla LMB and CNBG do not grow faster , get bigger or reach their potential in cold environs.

I do not have a theory on how to put all the pieces together to achieve one truth. Just to many factors at work. I do stress that inferences drawn from a study are limited and I do not draw (nor suggest that) large scale conclusions based on single (few) issue studies or by stringing several such studies together to do so.

On the reproductive front it is important to account for location (environment) in the analysis. For example in peninsular Fla the temperature allows for LMB reproduction for 9-10 mths of the year while in the north it is limited to 1 -2 mths. Same for BG/CNBG. All fish do not spawn each time the conditions allow and other things factor into that. But on the whole LMB and BG in both N and S locations annually have the same number of potential eggs /fry. On the whole N locations seem to have more missing/limited year classes due to bad weather impacting a spawn. Statistically it is more likely that a year class can be severely impacted when there is 1 spawn a year as apposed to 6 smaller spawns spread out over 9 mths.

Hope some of this helps in the discussion .

Last edited by ewest; 04/20/21 11:28 AM.