Originally Posted by Mal
Since we are talking leaking ponds, I'll chime in for some advice. I have a 1.3 acre pond, spring fed with a decent flow. It's at least 80 years old so relatively shallow; 18 inches to 5 and a half feet. I rebuilt it about 4 years ago by replacing some of the dam. It originally had a drain that stood proud in about 12 feet of water. That drain is nowhere to be seen and has been like that for many years. The old dam has a leak near where I think the old drain outflow would have been. There is one other suspect area where the water may be getting in to the bank that I fixed rather poorly when rebuilding.

I'm thinking some dye might tell me if the second mentioned leak is the culprit and one of the polymers or bentonite might fix it. The old outflow won't be so easy to prove, find or fix.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

The pond always flows out of my new outflow but if I try to raise the level even 3 inches, the leaks dominate and the outflow stops. I'd like to raise the level by a foot or more....

Hi Mal:

Happy to walk through some thoughts on identifying the leak area, you're on the right track, but am happy to chat sometime. Feel free to contact me anytime, here to help.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]