Hi all. I'm new and I was thinking it would be helpful and fun to co-speculate on where I could put a pond or 2 or 3.

It's been my dream to someday have a 3 to 4 acre swimming and fishing pond with a beach area, a half acre garden pond with goldfish and if I can get government funding an experimental .5 to .75 acre pond Sepp Holzer style plus some of my own alterations to see if I could create a micro climate capable of growing some fruit trees in a zone or 2 above my usda zone

I just baught 80 forested acres of hills and ravines and creeks in Michigan. I haven't actually seen the land yet but will around the end of May. So right now there are a lot of unknowns like the quality and flow of the creeks. I'm not sure if any of them are seasonal. The soil map shows the area as Alfisols which I understand as having a lot of clay so hopefully I wouldn't have to bring in much but again I haven't confirmed it.

I don't think there is anywhere I could put a 4 acre pond especially with a beach so I'll take what I can get but bigger is better. Depending on the quality of the water in the center creek I might be able to put a dam up and creat an acre+ swimming hole and level the bottom of the hill on the east side of the pond to create a beach. I think I can fit a half acre pond on top of the center plateau but would like others input. I realize I'd have to dish the plateau to direct water into the pond.

Here are the maps and some of my ideas. Really interested in hearing other ideas or comments.
The green is just where I marked the larger plateaus.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Rebecca; 04/17/21 04:26 PM.

All advice should be regarded as being pulled out of my @$$ or as second @$$ knowledge. Reader responsible for confirming.