Alan, welcome to Pond Boss.

As these guys know, I’m a green sunfish fan. A couple of things about them:
Since they only spawn annually, it’s tough for them to take over a pond. Bluegills have what we call a rolling spawn. That means they spawn multiple times per season. No contest on spitting out babies that feed bigger fish. But, a Green Sunfish will out fight a pansy bluegill every time.

Take over a pond. Yep, they can do it and I have a pond that is almost all greens. Of course, it has taken these mutts about 20 years since the last Texas drought dried up the pond.

If your goals are sunfish to feed bass, plain or copper nose bluegills are what you want. Stock about 10 pounds of fathead minnows per acre along with the bluegills. Feed a good quality feed. Let these over sexed fish spawn for a year and only then add bass and catfish if you want them. Keep the feeder going with a good quality feed until winter when they quit feeding.

After the second year of spawning, start culling small or under performing bass. They can over eat their food supply.

Never stop checking your Alkilinity and Ph.

Spend some time worrying about the bluegills and their health, size and well being. Manage for the groceries and the bigger predators will do just fine.

One last thing. Don’t lie to your wife about the cost of raising healthy fish. You’ll get caught every time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP