Hello everyone,

I've decided to start a new thread on my 1 acre trout pond in Ontario, Canada, as I have a few new issues not relevant to my old threads. If you would like to read about my pond in general, I have a few threads about it on my account.

In my area, we have had a period of rapid temperature rise. We had 20C highs (88F) for two or three days, so the water in the shallows warmed up very quickly, enough so that large schools of small 6-8" bass were visible. We get warmer temperatures in the summer; it is just not usually this abrupt. This led to some odd observations which are worrisome.

Firstly, a relative of mine was removing some loose vegetation with a rake and noticed a 14" trout swimming sideways and weakly. Another trout was so weak he was able to nudge it with the rake without it being able to swim away fast enough. Clearly, these trout he saw are not well. What could be the cause of this? The water temps are still not that high, since 20C is not super hot, and the nights get down low enough to keep the water temperature at or below the optimal for trout. The bottom (14') should also be very cool, so I can't imagine water temperatures are the issue. Most trout seem healthy still, as I am getting more and more fish coming daily when I feed, and they are aggressive.

The second issue I noticed was a medium sized fish, 8-10", swimming in the shallows with the bass. It was red or dark brown in colour and had fins that noticeably went out to the side. I know it was not a trout or bass. I know that is a very un-detailed description, but could anyone point me towards what that could be? I hope it is not a carp or another problematic fish.

Finally, I culled as many bass as I could today. I wasn't able to get that many, but they are still lethargic with the cold water.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Fyfer123; 04/10/21 07:32 PM.

Adam

I subscribe!