Originally Posted by TGW1
As I understand it all, the lmb and hsb will grow faster if there is little to no plant life in the pond. That's providing there are good numbers of forage fish for them to eat and gain weight. A few years back, after Todd Overtons electric survey at the pond, he concluded that I was short on 3 to 4"cnbg and suggested I add 5 dense brush piles along the shoreline. I built 9 out of cedars and other brush I gathered up. We also added 50 lbs of FHM's to take the pressure off the cnbg fry. And it was not long before I had 3 to 4" cnbg everywhere in and around the pond. Brush piles are cheap with just a small amount of labor. I am doing it again this spring.

Tracy:

Little to no plant life means more nutrients available for phytoplankton. I don't want anybody that reads this to assume he meant little to no cover. Without cover for the LMB to hide in and relate to, they are marathon runners, burning up tremendous amounts of calories to try and catch a meal.

Ask FIH about adding cover to his pond........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).