Originally Posted by taylor6400
Im in Holmes County, NE/NC area of the state. Looking to build a pond. Soil map looks questionable. I had a buddy who does excavating dig a couple test holes and we hit a thin layer of clay but not a ton. Below it seems to be a mix of sandy clay. He has no experience with pond building and wasnt sure what to think. I was hoping we would hit a nice clay layer and i would feel good about it. I need someone that knows ponds to come in and do a site survey and dig a couple holes and tell me whats possible or not. Really struggling to find anyone that has technical knowledge of pond work. Plus all the local excavators are so busy nobody even has any interest in it. If there's any leads on here i am all ears. Thanks!!

Often the best clay is around the creek bed, as it erodes away soils until it hits clay. At least, that was true in my case. Don't know your situation, but something to check. It's not always where you'd think based on appearances.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160