Originally Posted by canyoncreek
SetterGuy great to hear an update from you too! So you did restock the HSB!! Great. Now hopefully this year they will put on a couple of pounds and start hitting your lures like a freightliner..

I agree with you, the HBG that goes in every northern pond package is really a bad deal for most pond owners. Nearly impossible to keep them balanced, they revert to GSF and then everything goes askew. Not sure you can catch them all out either. Maybe there is a way to disrupt their spawning beds?

I'd have to believe your large adult YP that are 5-6 years old are safe from being eaten. But if they are somehow aged out due to nutrition or something then you would be best to find some adult replacement ones if you can.

Do you still have your feeder going during the warm months?

I do have the feeder running just for a few seconds in the afternoon now. Will switch to morning and longer when it gets warmer. Grandkids at the pond this week for spring break. They caught about 40 HBG RES crosses. None returned to pond. One SMB, returned. And one YP adult female, returned. And I spoke too early in regards to YP ribbons. Found two yesterday. Ha! Always find them on the dam which is the north end of our pond and gets the most direct sun.

I’m really hoping the HSB survived. I stocked 40 YP also. One of the ribbons from yesterday is very tiny. It may have been from one of the recent stockers.
My son in law may have trained our SMB to quit going after a hooked and struggling GSH. He could t get a bite on a SMB all week.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 03/28/21 10:09 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023